You will need:
8 ounces bacon
3 pounds of potatoes (about 9 medium potatoes)
1 stick (8 Tablespoons) margarine
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups chicken stock
1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed (1/2 a box)
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Dice bacon and cook in a skillet until crispy. Drain fat and set aside.
2. Peel potatoes and dice into 1/2 inch cubes. Boil for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
3. In a large pot, melt butter and add the flour, whisking constantly until the roux is smooth.
4. Gradually add milk, heavy cream, and chicken stock, whisking constantly.
5. When the sauce begins to thicken, add the cubed Velveeta. Stir constantly until cheese is completely melted.
6. Add the bacon, garlic powder, and Tabasco to the cheese mixture. Lower heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. The first time I made this, I had a burned layer at the bottom of my pan so please, stir frequently to avoid this!!!
7. Add in potatoes and simmer for another 10 minutes.
8. Garnish individual bowls of soup with cheddar cheese, bacon, chives, and parsley.