- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 tbls chopped garlic
- *4 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 cups water (mine turned out a little watery so I would use less than a cup of water)
- 1 tbls salt
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 tbls dried basil (I subbed a tbls of thyme since I ran out of basil)
- 3 Tbls chopped fresh parsley or 1 tbls dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I used a little less than this because I don’t like spicy food)
- (I also added a little bit of garlic salt because we like garlic around our house)
In large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened. Add onions and the rest of the ingredients into slow cooker (no smaller than 5-quart) and cook on low for at least 4 hours. Adjust seasonings to taste.
*Research is telling us more and more that we should avoid canned tomatoes. Choose tomatoes in glass bottles (which do not need resin linings), such as the brands Bionaturae and Coluccio. You can also get several types in Tetra Pak boxes, like Trader Joe’s and Pomi.