- For the Fruit Layer and Topping
- 8 cups (abt 2-1/2 lbs) Strawberries
- 6 tbsp (2-1/2 oz) Sugar
- 2 cups Whipped Cream (see Tips)
- For the Shortcakes
- 2 cups (10 oz) All Purpose flour, plus more for dusting the work surface
- 5 tbsp (abt 2-1/4 oz) Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 8 tbsp cold unsalted Butter
- 1 large Egg, lightly beaten, or see Tips
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp Whole Milk (see Tips)
- 1 large Egg white, lightly beaten
Tips1. Whipped Cream: To make 2 cups, you would need 1 cup chilled (preferably pasteurized instead of ultra-pasteurized), 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. In a chilled bowl (and the beaters preferably) add all the ingredients together and beat until small bubbles form, around 30 seconds. Increase the speed and continue beating until the cream is doubled in volume, is smooth and thick. It takes around 20 seconds for soft peak and about 30 seconds for a stiff peak. Recipe from the cookbook.
2. Whole Milk:Instead of milk you can also use half and half.